15 August 2012

Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen visits Stonybrook Day Camp!

Today was a learning experience for many.  Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen, who represents the 11th District of New Jersey (that’s us!) came to camp today!  Serving his 9th term, Frelinghuysen serves as New Jersey's senior member of the House Appropriations Committee and on three key appropriations subcommittees: Energy and Water Development, of which he is the Chairman, Defense, and Homeland Security. Frelinghuysen represents 56 municipalities in the 11th Congressional District, including all those in Morris County as well as communities in Sussex, Somerset, Passaic, and Essex Counties.

Through countless events in communities across the 11th District, Rodney seeks out and listens to the opinions and advice of those he represents.  He holds regular town hall meetings, visits dozens of schools and attends hundreds of community events.    Well, now he can say he comes to camp! 



He was very happy to be at Stonybrook Day Camp.  He had heard great things about camp and it certainly looked like a lot of fun.   Our older campers had a Q&A session with the Congressman and here is how it all went down.

Matt Ackerman: What does a congressman do?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: There are 435 congressmen and congresswomen who represent the entire US.  Each congressman represents 750,000 people.  I listen to my constituents and their needs.  I represent them in Congress.  I actually represent many different towns from Sparta to Randolph to Livingston.

Madeline Berg: To go into politics, how long do you have to go to school?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: To be a member of congress you don’t need a college degree but it is a good idea to have it.  I majored in American History but if I could do it again I might major in English.  Reading is important.   And to go into congress, you must be 25 years old.

Adam Christ: When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: When I was 7, my father became a member of congress.  He was a congressman for 20 years and I wanted to do what he did because he loved it so much.

Andrew Finnin: How does a bill become a law?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: You have to have enough people who like the bill. You need at least 218 co-sponsors who think it is a good idea.  As you can certainly imagine, it takes a long time to pass a law. 

Charlotte Crithary: What do you like to do when you are not working?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: I like to spend time with my family.  I am married and I have two girls and both went to sleepaway camp btw.   I also like to garden, play tennis and swim.  I certainly don’t get a lot of free time but when I do that is how I like to spend it.

Adrianna Maiella: What is your family like and how have they influenced your career?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: I have been married for 32 years and my wife is very opinionated.  That’s a good thing.  She often tells me how she feels about my voting.  I have two kids, one is 25 years old and one is 28.  They live in NY and San Francisco.  My family definitely influences my views on things.     

Danny Mambelli: Do you get to meet famous people?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: I had the honor of going to the White House picnic and I have met most of the presidents you have known.  I have met lots of astronauts.  I have met lots of interesting people and gone to lots of interesting places.  I have even been to the South Pole and I have seen the penguins.

Danny Mambelli: Who is the most important famous person?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: The person I admire most is Abraham Lincoln.  When he ran for president he actually lost twice in New Jersey.

Michelle Harrison: Who inspired you?
Congressman Frelinghuysen: My father.  He died last year at 95.

The campers enjoyed him and he enjoyed camp. And he was so much fun we welcome him to consider a staff position if he decides to consider a career change!





There are more pictures from the Congressman Frelinghuysen's visit!  Check them out on Smug Mug!


Don't forget to

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...