28 June 2012

Stonybrook Spotlight: Sam Miller Lynn





Stonybrook Spotlight:  Camper Sam Miller Lynn
Sam Miller Lynn would best be described as happy, energetic and SUPER polite.  He is always smiling and his positive attitude can be contagious.  He is wise beyond his years with matter of fact commentary.  In fact, a good way to describe him would be that he is like an adult...but with a kid face and body!  In fact, he is so mature and such a Stonybrook expert, we are practically ready to promote him to CIT! 

Statistics on Sam 
Age: 9
Grade: Going into 4th Grade 
Group at camp this year: 4th Grade Boys---The Spartans  
Years at SBDC: 6th Summer 
Favorite activities at home:  Swimming, soccer & tae kwan do
Hobbies: Sports of course!.........and music
Other:  He is a Diabetic and his little brother and sister are here at camp with him



Sam’s Favorite Camp Activities
When asked what he loves about camp he answered, "I really love everything, I can't really pick a favorite".  When asked if we had to twist his arm he responded, "If I had to choose....then capture the flag".

Sam’s Favorite Camp Memory
“I was playing capture the flag and I ran down the field and there was the flag. I started making funny faces to my friends, and then I ZIPPED down the field and brought the flag home. It was AWESOME!"



Life with Diabetes
“At this point, it has no significant impact on my life or behavior, or on any activities.  I have been diabetic for 6 years.  I have no food restrictions but I am conscious of the food I eat.”   He is very knowledgeable about the carb index in most foods and knows if he eats a high carb food, then he might not feel so great. He wears an insulin pump that is adjusted based on his blood sugar readings.  He spoke about the advancement in technology and how the pump has come a long way... (here we go with that mature, wise beyond his years side).  

When asked if having the pump has a downside? “No.....and sometimes it's cool!".....We asked for some more info on what makes it cool? "If you are in a subject at school and not feeling so well....you get to go to the nurse's office!"  We LOVE this kid.  His honestly is simply refreshing!



Role Model for his Brother and Sister
We asked how is was having a brother and sister at camp?  "Fun but sometimes it can be a big responsibility. I like to look after them!"

Advice for New Campers
Here are his wise words of advice: "You may think going to camp is boring but it's not.  It's the most fun place I have ever been in my life, and I have been to many places!"


Thanks Sam for taking the time out to answer all of our questions (and we had to literally PULL him away from activities...he didn't want to miss out on anything!)

Stay tuned for more SBDC Spotlights!
Don't forget to go check out all of today's photos on Smug Mug!



Don't forget to

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you! Sam was very honored to be asked and he loved seeing the blog post on facebook.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...